Friday, December 16, 2011

We're home!

Greetings from Pleasant Hill!!!  We're home.

According to my calculations, we were "on the move" for roughly 25 29 hours on uh, Friday...  I think.  We left our hotel around 8am Friday morning in Guangzhou, and walked into our kitchen around 11:30 pm, still on Friday, but we gained 14 hours in there somewhere, someway.  I'm still trying to figure out what happened when we first got there and what day that was, so I'll likely have to come to grips with the fact that these 3 weeks, or there abouts, are just going to be a whirlwind of adventure that saw a wonderful little boy officially come into our lives.

The day was at times hectic. At times flat out boring. At times stressfull, funny, sad, exhausting, and whatever else you can think of.

I won't say that the day was without incident, it wasn't. But it was nothing that I haven't encountered previously as a dad.  Perhaps different circumstances, but no worries.

Her is Caleb feeling pretty spry and sassy.  This is fairly early on the first flight this morning.  That's my belly off to his left.  That's the results of nearly three weeks of... wait for it...  sausage and bacon!!



Here are the two boys not feeling so spry anymore.  This is probably 6 or 7 hours into flight number two.


And ta-da!  Home at last. We're back, baby we're BACK!!


Walking Caleb around the house tonight was fun. He was stroking the front of the refridgerator so I opened the door. He said, "woooooowwwww!".  I showed him the bedroom that he and Robby will be sharing.  He was shaking his head no for that but I think that's because every night at bedtime is a bit of a war.

I showed him the bathroom to which he replied by grabbing himself and saying "niao niao" (potty). So, we went potty on our tour.  Showed him how to use the soap dispenser which seemed a little stressful to him compared to the bar of soap he's grown accustomed to in our hotel rooms.

I took him to the basement and he nearly crumbled to the ground in a heap of joy at the toys on the floor.

I took him to Daddy's side of the basement with all of the cd's and music equipment. I explained that this was "Ba ba's toys, the ones on the floor were Caleb and Robby toys". He shook his head in agreement so I doubt we'll have any troubles there. *wink wink*

Then I showed him the pool table. I rolled a ball gently in his direction and the look of amazement on his face was priceless.  He responded by picking it up and hurling it halfway across the table back at me! I can see this is something we'll have to revisit early and often!

I knew that everything would be new to him, but to see how everything is new to him is stunning.  I'm not sure if he has ever had any toys of his own. Watching his interaction with stuff, I would say that he has not. He's a bit of a hoarder, which is quite common with foreign adoptees.

I could go on and on, and I probably will in the next couple of days as I intend to mark his progress, but it is now 1:38 Des Moines time (3:38pm on Saturday China time) and I need to go to bed... I think.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely awesome! It's been fun and exciting keeping up with your journey. I can't even put into words what you have done and will continue to do to change the life of this little boy. You are truly amazing, wonderful, caring, and loving people.
    Glad to hear the whole family is safe and comfortable at home.

    ReplyDelete