Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The inevitable is no longer evitable, if it ever was...

Greetings,

Caleb got sick...

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you may recall several posts here and there that mention that Caleb has been avoiding sickness in the U.S.A. like high-paid Americans avoid physical labor.  Which is to say, he was doing great in the health department.

Enter Friday night, March 8th, 2013.  Robby is whiny.  Crazy whiny, which is out of character for him.  Nothing much was thought about it, except that he needed to go to bed early that night. On that same evening, Dear ol' Dad noticed that his jaw on the left side of his face was very tender.  Peculiar, indeed.

Saturday morning comes as it usually does, which is early for Dad.  I run up to church to start a new Bible study, and when I return home, I meet Momma just inside the door who informs me that Robby has been bad sick so far this morning.  Inhaler sick.

So we decide that he is not going to First Communion class that morning and we'll shoot for the Monday night class if he is feeling "more gooder".  As a result, he was mad.

The day progresses as Robby regresses.  He's feeling pretty bad. 

We decide that I, Daddy, will take Caleb to Sunday school and church since I was teaching this weekend and Momma and Robby will stay home. 

The plan was executed nearly perfectly.   Caleb has a slight cough, but nothing much.  Plus, he's acting fine, Robby is not.

Momma, who is also not feeling well by this point, decides that she'll take Robby and herself up to the good Doctor and see what it is that is ailing them.

A few prescriptions later, they're back and moping around accordingly.

Sunday evening, Caleb is dragging a little more, but not bad and he has a very slight fever.

Hmmm... this is new.

Monday morning comes and while we had decided to not send Robby to school already the night before, Calebs advancement of his ailment was enough to convince us that he was not going to school either.

What was that advancement, you ask with a cautious, wincing face?  Puking. He has not puked or leaked fluids from any other part of his earthly body since we have recruited him to be a Schmitz.

Hmmm... this is definitely new.

Here's a strange side story to all of this. When we were adopting, and by adopting, I mean the actual act of (finally) physically bringing Caleb into our home, I had moments where I wondered if he would accept us/me. Later on in the process, after he had accepted us, I wondered to what degree he accepted us/me.  Fast forward to the middle of the night Sunday night/Monday morning.  The poor guy was woke up around 2:30 am and found himself puking.  I woke up at the same time, in a different room and wondered why, guessing that he had issued a distress signal of some kind. Seconds later, I hear a shrieking Caleb say, "DDDDDAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Man, I was out of bed and in the living room where the sick boys were sleeping, in a flash!  Haven't moved that fast since I was threatened to be murdered on my paper route one fine Sunday morning, but that's another story for another time.

While I helped the boy finish his deed and get cleaned up, I got a huge, tight hug from him while he clinged to me with all of his being.  I was strangely proud of the ferocity in which my little China boy screamed for help.  It was truly comforting as a Daddy in some really weird way.

I'm sure he'll see that differently as he grows up and recalls his first American vomit, but I know how I feel about it!

So anyway, Monday progresses and suddenly, out of thin air, Robby is back to himself!  Talking non-stop, sassing, wanting to play various things and so on.

He went to school Tuesday morning.  Caleb went to the doc.  Same verdict as the rest of us.

He is currently okay but he's got a solid does of childrens ibuprofen in his belly to help him on his way.  He's still fever'ish.  He's still very lethargic. He still doesn't want to eat much, but that is truly an improvement over yesterday!

So, the possibility for him to avoid sickness, is no longer an option... hence my goofy title.

Hopefully tomorrow brings happier times for the lad.


p.s. -  I did manage to get Robby up to the first communion class at our church building for the Monday night class. He was excited, answered lots of questions and got to taste the communion wine for the first time.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment