Tuesday, April 8, 2014

S-A T-U-R D-A-Y Hey!!

Sadly, we are not reliving the oft mocked and derided Bay City Rollers song here, although we could if you really want to!

No, I am referring to this past Saturday when the stars, planets and two random pencils on our dining room floor all aligned and dropped a whole pile of stuff to do on one given day.

The morning was rather laid back.  Mom got home from work about 8am and went straight to bed.  Me and the boys played some Wii, some basketball, cleaned a little and various other stuff until about 11:30 when Robby and Dear ol' Dad headed out to birthday party #1.

That was at Incredible Pizza out in Urbandale.  I underestimated how long it would take to get there by roughly 4 minutes and as a result, Robby was the last one to arrive and was approximately 4 minutes late.  Whether the Mom was just being polite or not, I don't know, but she said that only one person was early and the others had just arrived as well.

I didn't know if I was required to stay there or not, so just in case, I packed my Bible and the Kindle to take with me.  The mom said I was welcomed to stay but didn't need to.  

I didn't.  

You see, there is a very fantastic store that also happens to be located in Urbandale and is roughly one mile from where I found myself.

That wonderful, fairly-land-like place is called Beer Crazy.  I went and started my 2014 NFL Football season stash of odd beers on Saturday. They are somewhat neatly tucked away in the storeroom downstairs although not in a fire safe where they should be...

I'm drifting...

So Robby had a good time at the party and I returned to pick him up with about 10 minutes to go before his departure time.  He wanted my big butt to get into one of the go-carts and have him drive during the race.  I was feeling pretty spry and aloof after my beer acquisition so I agreed.

Turns out, the boy grew too much from last years trip to Incredible Pizza and can no longer ride shotgun, he must drive one of the "slower" cars by himself.  I was sort of bummed but also relieved the my aforementioned big butt didn't have to wedge down into the seat and then have some danged smart alec high school aged employee have to pry me out with a 12' 2 x 4 after the race.

So I watched and Robby was bummed.

He climbed into the white, #18 Snickers sponsored craft and drove up to the pole.  They gave the green flag and off he went.  Like a shot out of a cannon!  

I was stunned!  A. by how fast he was going in one of the "slow" cars and B. that he was starting to lap the field!

Need proof?


That' him just to the left of center in the white car.   The next closest car is back making that corner off the left side of the photo.  Note that yellow car at the back of the pack...
He caught him on the next lap and probably should have waited until they were coming out of the corner to try and make the pass.  As a result, they crashed and stopped the race for a bit while the smart alec looking high school aged employee came out and dislodged the vehicles that were connected in error.



The birthday party go-ers.

After that birthday party, we had a request from my sister Doris to visit Snookies malt shop on grand opening day.  You see, Frank, her hubby who recently passed was a BIG fan of Snookies and had it on his calendar that he would be returning home from the hospital after his treatments.  Sadly, he did not make it.  My sister was going to the Twin Cities to visit Franks Mom and wouldn't make it either, so she put out the request that if you were able to, please stop by Snookies in honor of Frank and take your pic in front of the joint enjoying your frozen creation.
Robby and I did just that!  I had never been there before but it turns out that Doris and Frank had taken Robby and Caleb there last year during the Beaverdale Fall Festival. 
And then...

We headed to the second birthday party, this time back in Pleasant Hill,  where we would now meet up with Momma and Calebber.

This is Jack's (birthday boy) dad commanding the troops and organizing them for their obstacle course challenge that they're about to embark on.


Robby awaiting the go-ahead to do his portion of the course.
For cake they had purchased about 200 very large donuts and had ice cream in a cooler.  Robby looked a little bloated after finishing this since it was about 45 after Snookies.


Then once the kids were all amped up on sugar, they had a paper airplane contest.  All of the kids had airplanes and they threw them with the wind to see whose would travel furthest.  This was a cool idea and occupied the kids like crazy!



Looks a little bit like Lenny Dykstra telling the world where his baseball, or in this case airplane, is going to go.  That's probably not a good joke seeings what Lenny's been up to in recent years!  Yikes.


Robby and Caleb with birthday boy Jack!
And if you think that I was exaggerating the big day, I'm not.  We had to leave this party a little bit before it was over because we had to go home and get ready for a wedding out in Granger at Jester Park Lodge.

We returned home from that at about 8:45pm with two youngin's who were SPENT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment