Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Vacation 2013 - Post #7, Downtown DC, the 2nd time.

The previous post dealt with our first visit to downtown, which we did under the close supervision of our host family/tour guide/slapper-arounder Marylynn. 

That was so the chaos unit could get schooled on all things appropriate such as how to get downtown, and how to navigate when you're down there. So the first post was mainly photos about the architecture and such of the D.C. area, this is the other post of the architecture of the D.C. area and I'm sure if we'd had more time in the area, I'd do about 8 more posts about buildings! 

I do not apologize...  I was fascinated with the buildings!

There will be more posts that overlap these because of our walk thru the mall with the monuments, the Arlington Cemetary, and what not.

Until we get there, try to enjoy the same pictures that I do.


This was on our walk to find the White House where President Obama has the staff brew the first beer at that location: Ale To The Chief.  I will not lie.  I am not fond of most of the carryings-on of our current commander in chief, but I do admire the fact that he seems to recognize a good beer when he sees one.  Sadly, I did not run across one of the White House ales in our time out there, but I would have gladly enjoyed one with the Big O over a discussion about the big 3: football, religion and politics.


I apologize in advance for forgetting what all of these buildings represent, but this was a medical building with the inscription (under the big red +)  "In Memory Of The Heroic Women Of The Civil War".


What building is this?  I dunno...  I just liked it.
OOOoooh...  Oooooh!!!  I believe it is the museum of the...  place that has stuff that museums have...  I'm just kidding, it's the Corcoran Gallery Of Art.  We didn't go in.  I'm not kidding when I say that I had no idea what it was, but that I just looked it up.


This is the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.  It was IMMENSE!!  There's no way to take a photo of it as it's just simply too big to be had by a regular camera.  If you were to look this up on Google/Bing maps, it's the building immediately West of the White House which sort of looks like a square'ish figure 8.



To fine young lads who have made their way all the way from Iowa (and China) to stand at the front steps of the White House.  Can you see Obama back there?!?  He's in the window just to the right of the 7th iron rail in the fence... if you're counting from the left.  Or was it the right?  Get it?  Left, or the right?  Oh man, I crack myself up!!! 


If you do a 180 from where the photo immediately above this was taken, you see this.  It's the Washington monument of course.  You'll see a few photos from now why it looks a bit different from what you're used to.


This is a VERY SMALL portion of the building that is the U.S. Department of Commerce.



The Washington Monument up close and as personal as they would allow at this time.  That is some fantastic scaffolding they had built and I would have been honored to help set it up!!
This was outside the building where Momma misplace her purse, albeit temporarily.  It was hot as hades out there and really cold inside the air conditioned book/memorabilia store.   I went back outside because it was small and crowded in there, as well as cold and I knew that we had a long walk ahead of us yet.  These fellas rode past shortly after I went back outside.


This is the U.S. Department Of Agriculture where our own Tom Vilsack went to put his wares on display.  You can take that however you want... 



I don't remember what this is, but I seem to think it was taken on our walk to retrace steps as we went to look for lost belongings.  It was a nice photo of what I think was the...  oh, Freer Gallery Of Art, where Robby used ever bathroom in the place.  Twice.


And that about does it!  It was a full day. By the time the Schmitz Mobile Chaos Unit had figured out the trains, read maps, walked forever, and so on, it was time to go back to the Gonsalves to regroup for another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment