Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vacation 2013 - Post #6, Downtown DC, the 1st time.

After our train ride to downtown, we had a bit of a walk to get to the museums, which will be covered in future posts.

The walk was cool.  Marylynn was well researched and also knew that Robby is a bit of a history buff, so she had us get off of the train where our walk would take us by a bit of history.  We'll come to that after a few photos.

I have no idea what the order of these should be anymore so they're kinda random.


Hard to spot it but straight down that road is the Capitol building.  I didn't have much time to fire off a photo, so I was a little off center when I realized it was down the road.

Don't know what this building is, but it was enormous and I like pillars.

I've also come to realize after seeing pictures from China and Washington D.C., that I not only like to photograph buildings with pillars, but I'm quite fond of arches as well.  This one was cool.

Ah, the bit of history that Marylynn had planned for us to walk by.  Fords Theatre where President Abraham Lincoln was shot.  They hauled him out of there and across the street where we're standing to take this photo...

Into this building where he eventually died from his wounds.

Obviously, this is a close-up of the sign immediately above Robby's head in the above photo.

Here's the museum that we toured.  There are roughly 42 bathrooms throughout this place and I think Robby used every one of them... twice!  He'll thank me for that comment someday...  or not.

This is one of the Smithsonian buildings but I couldn't tell you which one.  We are standing on the steps outside of one of the museums that we had walked thru and looking out across the mall.

And here it is from the base of the building!  I don't know what else to say, but I do have a shot of that archway that you can see at the bottom left.

The Mobile Chaos Unit in front of the Capitol.  I like this picture for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that Caleb had to pee, REALLY BAD, and you can see the obvious anguish on his little Chinese face!

Again, not sure what the building is, but it was enormous as well!

I'm going off memory here, so I'm most likely horribly wrong, but I think this may be the Bill Clinton whatever building.  All I know is that it had pillars and arches!

To put the size of the building in perspective, the tiny little people up there by the arches are, from left to right, Robby, Liena, Caleb and Ethan in the stroller, Marylynn, and Momma.

No pillars on this one, but arches with scaffolding!  mmmmmm... construction sites...

That's about all for that post.  Nothing too exciting to look at, unless you were there.  

I kinda wish we would have had a week to just spend in the D.C. area proper.  So much that we just saw, without doing.  I guess that gives us a fantastic reason to go back someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment