Monday, September 21, 2020

Vaca 2020 - Day 3 - NOLA Jazz Boat Tour

After a walk back down towards where we met for the walking tour,  we boarded our boat for a short cruise down the Mississippi where some gentlemen were playing a bunch of old jazz standards.

Not the most exciting thing that we did by any means, but it was nice to have a couple of beers, relax, let the wind blow thru your hair while listening to live music!   

I talked to the band after they were done playing as it seemed like they were struggling to keep everything in tune due to the heat and humidity.  Turns out they were.  Those things are hard on guitars but I always assumed it was just due to the wood, but nope, the band leader played the trumpet and another dude played a tuba and it's the same for all.  Constant tuning during whatever break in the song you get.

When we first boarded the boat, we didn't know what was going on so we picked the first place where we saw four seats together.  We sat here for a bit before I got up and moved around.  There was a table on the top level by the band that was open, so we moved up there.


Just a wide shot of where we're going to go soon...  that small thing in the foreground is related to the dredging boat that much nearer to us.  What is it?  I have no clue...

That bridge is the Hwy 90 bridge. 

We're off and moving...  at the mercy of the captain of the ship.

I no longer recall what that building is, but lucky for me,  I still recall that that is my wife in the foreground with the aforementioned wind blowing thru her hair.

The very large boat is the Cape Knox with some additional info here if you're curious.

More Knox...  it was quite large!

The jazz trio, awaiting their opportunity to play some more rock n' roll for us weary travelers.

A couple of similar boats to that which we are on.  I think they announced that these were "in storage" for the time being, but I don't recall for sure.

I believe that this had something to do with the military at some point, but is now used for other reasons.

I believe this is the old sugar factory and it's still in use, but you wouldn't guess it from the different views you get while passing by it.


These next several pictures are in the belly of the boat and I'm not 100% sure we were supposed to be down there, but, nobody kicked us out, so we kept going.



The chain and the caution pylon tell me that maybe peeps are allowed in here.






Here's the lads blowing their horns and pickin' the banjo!

The Hwy 90 bridge again... this was our turn-around point.



 So there we have it.  Another day of vacation and another day of New Orleans is in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment