Saturday, September 5, 2020

Vaca 2020 - Day 2, New Orleans WWII Museum

I'm probably not going to comment on a lot of these pics as there's really not a ton to say.   I will say this tho,  I had no idea of what to expect with this museum but the reviews online were pretty amazing.  Lots of reviews said, "plan to spend your entire day here!".  While there's no way that any museum other than guitars/rock memorabilia would keep my interest for that long, this place was pretty amazing.

The pictures may very well look boring to you, and I would fully understand, but the part of the museum that makes it amazing is all of the little individual movies that tell the personal stories that tie into the displays.

Had a decent lunch in the cafeteria too!  That never hurts anything. And they had a new beer that I had not enjoyed before, Jucifer by Gnarly Barley Brewing.  It was yummy.


We walked from our Hotel (Hotel Monteleone) which was probably about a mile.  It was a bit hot even though it was pretty early morning. 

The sidewalks outside of the museum.  I always think this is super-cool, but at the same time, I feel bad for walking on them.

I'm not sure what this new monstrosity of a exhibit/statue/monument is supposed to be, but it appeared to be about 50% done and it is HUGE!!!

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be on one of these boats waiting for that back gate/ramp to drop...   whew.



This room was quite large and super cool!  The lighting doesn't come across well in the picture, but it felt, looked and smelled a bit like how it looks.  Of course, there were movies to illustrate personal stories again.  Amazing stuff.

As you can see from the reflections in the glass, we're still in the same room.  I took a picture of the plaque describing this flag and how it got to it's current state, but sadly, it was too blurry to read.


A display of the various guns used throughout the battles.

My favorite room with all of the airplanes!



Now from up above them.



I love this picture because Caleb's sillhouette is on the left while you can see both Rob and Lesley is the distance just North of the center of the photo.  All the while, the plane doesn't suck either.  The items in the display cases were uniforms worn by the pilots.


One of the original "dog tag" machines.


This was a room where they showed a heap of the manufacturing of equipment used in the war called the Arsenal Of Democracy.  We were tired by this point, which was a shame, because it was super cool and they had tons of detail on everything.


This was my favorite piece from the Remembered Lights: Glass fragments from WWII; The McDonald Windows, which you can explore a bit more here.


There were a few areas that we didn't even explore because we were shot. But, I could easily see how a couple (sans kids) could spend a full day here and not ever be bored. Although, I'm a bit biased since my favorite period of history is from about 1930 - the mid-fifties! None-the-less, a very cool museum that appears to not be done adding on by a long shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment