Thursday, February 6, 2020

2019 Mini-Vaca3(but really 1), Chicago, Pt 5 - Art Institute of Chicago

After the Field Museum, we had another sizable walk required of us.   Our next destination was the Art Institute of Chicago, which, from the looks of Google.com/maps,  we didn't take the fastest route.  However, we weren't in a big hurry to begin with so, who cares!?

When we were in China back in 2011, I loved walking around Shamian Island and looking at the architecture.  Same thing with touring the Hutong in Beijing only days before.  Such cool stuff and even cooler when I didn't even know that I was into architecture!

I only saved one picture from our walk (for unknown reasons), but know that I took a good many more...

Our view from the steps of the Field Museum. Notice that all of the coats are light or just jackets.  B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.  weather!!!

Look at the detail on that building!  Makes me wonder what those upper floors are like inside and even a little bit about what the heck the building is!

Our destination, the Art Institute lions greeting us.  I also took zero pictures inside of any art as that always seems creepy to me for some reason.

The Chrome Kidney Bean!  I think it's actually called the Cloud Gate, but i like kidney beans so that's what it is to me.

The skeletal face of the bean.  That's us in the bottom right quadrant.

The bride and I  with our reflections in the background.  Notice my phone screen in the reflection...  It was trying to reboot but didn't have enough battery so it was "looping".  Boot up to a point and then shut down. Repeat, until finally dead.

This is a shot of the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.  It's quite the cool structure and they have all kinds of activities here in the warmer months.

I called this the spaceship bridge.  It's really pretty cool but when you're tired of walking after a long day,  I was wishing that they just had a simpletons bridge to cross the freakin' road as you walk a LONG way on this to get over 6 lanes.
Don't believe me?  That's the pavilion on the left and the walking bridge is the snaky thing.

The bridge is the silver thing on the right side and the other oddities are the skate ribbon and rock climbing thingy's.

More of the twisty bridge.

I asked a friend of mine who lives in Chicago, what some good Chicago Pizza places.  He suggested Giordano's and Lou Malnati's.  This was pretty much the view out of our hotel room window (I took it on the street going to get our pizza, but other than a slightly different angle with a couple of trees, it's pretty much the same).  Both were very good pizza's but I would put Giordano's slighty above Lou's.  Thank you, Matt!!


No comments:

Post a Comment