Monday, November 21, 2016

Vacation 2015, #21 - The Great Salt Lake

So last night I did a blog post about our vacation that was nearly 5 months ago. When typing that up, I realized that not only had I not finished last years vacation, there is still a post (not really, cause I ain't gonna do it...) from about 150 years ago when we went out to see our friends in Gaithersburg, MD.  

Well... perhaps I will do a final post as I was curious and just went to look up photos from that vacation. It was in August of 2013 and the final post is from Harpers Ferry, WV and there are some lovely photos of that place with some kids who have aged well since that time!

Anyhoo... 

So this post is more recent than that, but NOT as recent as the last one about Minnesota... 

Got it?  Ya with me?

So we're at the Great Salt Lake in Utah.  We had driven hard, really hard, since leaving the Redwoods and finally made it here.

Now keep in mind, this is nowhere near our final destination for the day.  Oh no...  what would a Schmitz Mobile Chaos vacation be without strict deadlines and near impossible miles to cover, be?!?  

So, I wanted to dip my toes in the water, go pee, get back in the car and get moving!


We parked at a little music venue/welcome center called... wait for it...  The Saltair!  It is obviously a concert venue but also serves as a gift shop and welcome center to those of us who are just passing thru and want to smell the nasty air of dead fish and bird carcasses gracing the long-a!!! walk out to the waters edge.


So we finally made it to the waters edge as a group.  And a dang fine looking bunch we are!  Oh, and if you can't tell from our expressions, it was BRIGHT!!!


A shot from waters edge back at some type of factory that we drove past on I-80 (I think) on our way into town.  I took it simply because I liked the contrast of the straight lines of the smokestack against the mountainous terrain.


And a photo that makes me sad now.  Aunt Molly on our way back to the vehicle after dipping our toes...

That's all of the pictures that I had that were worth showing.  I think that we didn't take too many due to the stench of rotting bird and fish that I mentioned earlier.  It was nasty...  other than that?  A quite lovely visit but if there is a next time, I would like to see the Great Salt Lake when the water level is much, much higher!

No comments:

Post a Comment