Monday, July 30, 2012

The Beers of China, follow-up...

I received the latest copy of the delightful publication that goes by the name, All About Beer.  In it was an article that excited and broke my heart at the same time.

There's an article, as you can see below, called "Leaping the Great Wall" which is about the craft beer revolution going on in China. Had I known that GOOD beers were available in Beijing while we were there, I could certainly have done more to seek them out.





But the most interesting part of the article was a little sidebar inclusion titled, The Best (and worst) Beers of Beijings Beers.  The last one listed, and shown in the second to the last photo, is the Snow beer, which I had incorrectly said was the Wal Mart brand beer.

It is not.

What it IS though, is the worlds best selling beer but what they wrote about it is what got me.
The caption says, and I quote, "The worlds biggest selling beer (despite barely being know outside China) and the reason many Chinese drinkers were delighted to find something better. Adulterated with rice and all kinds of other common adjuncts, it has a soapy flavor that is as close to nothingness as a beer can get. Dreadful.".

Alright then.

Makes my review seem downright polite by comparison.
I wrote then: "Wal Mart brand Snow beer number 2.  I honestly think it was the same beer in a different label. The one above was on a huge pallet display up by the register lanes while this one was available back in the beer aisle. Very forgettable.".
Slightly different label but from the sounds of it, the same lackluster swill...

1 comment:

  1. This whole post just makes me laugh. Every bit of it. Thanks, needed that.

    ReplyDelete