Monday, August 16, 2021

Late Summer Saturdays

When the gardens producing, I'm busy... uh, doing something that would rhyme with producing. I'm just not cool enough to think of it.

Well, this past Saturday, Lesley was at work and Rob worked from 11am - 10pm, which left me and Caleb home and to our own devices.

Caleb is always looking for jobs to earn himself some cash, so he was finishing some work in the gardens dead-heading the tomato plants and weeding.  He did a great job.  

About 11am I started in the kitchen.  First up, making the first batch of homemade salsa for the year.  Second, cutting and canning the tomatoes from the past week.  And lastly, turning the Roma tomatoes into some spaghetti sauce, or as I like to call it to save myself syllables, Sketti sauce.  Oh, and I'm smoking a ham with brown sugar that I will make into scalloped potatoes for supper tonight!
 
mmmmmmmm...  salsa.
Canning. The two jars on the far left of the picture are the 'sketti' sauce.  The rest are just tomatoes.
The scalloped potatoes!  This recipe is LIT.  I've altered it a bit and I have another idea to try.  Either this one or the next one, whenever it happens, will be the final one that I stick with.  SOO good.

No comments:

Post a Comment