Monday, August 17, 2020

Vaca 2020 - Day 1, Vicksburg, MS. Civil War Battlefield

The Schmitz Mobile Chaos Unit likes to work in some educational "stuffs" into our vacations. We visited Gettysburg back in 2014 and truly enjoyed our time there! 

You can see those posts here:
http://schmitzchaos.blogspot.com/2013/10/vacation-2013-post-2-gettysburg-pa-pt-1.html
http://schmitzchaos.blogspot.com/2013/11/vacation-2013-post-3-gettysburg-pa-pt-2.html


Vicksburg, as you might guess, looked much the same!  

You can read a bit of history of this lovely little'ish town here:
https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/vicksburg-campaign


Let's get to some pictures!

I am not sure what it is, but I love rows of cannons!  I am a pyromaniac and I really like explosions and things being blown up, so that may have something to do with it.  Also, it's cool and scary to think about what was going thru those men's mind when they're standing behind these things in the heat of battle!

One of several Iowa memorials.

You'll see this in the next several photos.  Piles and piles of men from Illinois fought in this battle and this is a memorial to them.

Caleb and mama's back-sides as they enter.  The size of this thing was deceptive from down on the road but it was quite the beautiful structure!


Rob, who complains EVERY TIME the car stops to get out and look at something, ascending the great staircase.  I now realize that pictures are out of order betwixt Lesley's phone and my own, since Caleb is clearly down on the road with me behind the van.


Big daddy and Caleb walking up when I probably stopped to take the photo of Caleb and mama entering and Caleb ran up ahead as he's not one to wait around for things.

Looking out from the doorway was a breathtaking view, which of course, was not done justice by the camera.  Crazy beautiful landscape that all of the battle and future racial killings took place in.

The inner domed roof.

On the inside...


The ambience of this place made me wish I had a guitar with me!  It was soooooo cool sounding in here with a natural reverb that would last probably 4 full seconds.


That's me fat arse up there with the boys.   This thing was enormous and Rob growled about getting out of the car and walking up the small hill.  I was thinking about what kinds of snakes they had in Mississippi and which ones were in the 6+ inch grass and thick clippings that would cause me to have a heart attack.  Robby lived.  I lived.  Caleb didn't care...

Another Iowa memorial with two fantastic Iowans being represented.

I remember this but honestly have zero recollection of what it was memorializing...

A little shout out to Arkansas, which was a VERY beautiful state that we finally saw more of on this vaca.  When I worked for The Musicland Group back in the 1990's, they wanted to make me the manager of a store in Little Rock, AR.  Turns out that the manager of the store at the time, a cute young blond, did...  ohhhhh, nevermind.  My life worked out as it should have. I have no idea about hers.

Another BIGGUN that I can not offer any info on...
 


Pretty cool little visit and a shame that the museum was closed due to the Covid...  No matter, we still enjoyed ourselves and saw some pretty cool history!

No comments:

Post a Comment