Thursday, June 11, 2020

Under A Strawberry Moon

What is a "Strawberry Moon"? As I write this, I am staring into the immediate future where I will be 50 years old and I can honestly say that I have not heard of a strawberry moon before.

Now, that's probably not due to some amazing occurrence like it only happens every 16,024 years but only if a dog stops to poop on the South side of the driveway WHILE chasing a butterfly and you have orange shoes on...   Nope, it's likely more due to the fact that I don't pay attention all that well and I'm generally not too interested in stuff that the media makes out to be a big deal.

That being said, I do enjoy star gazing and different phases of the moon, meteor showers and the like.  So what the heck is a strawberry moon?

Turns out it's the first full moon in June and it happens to coincide with the time that strawberries would be ready and ripe for the picken's!

Not too exciting, huh?  I suppose unless you are a strawberry fanatic in which case you're probably SOOOOOO consumed with the first full-Juney-Mooney that you're not even looking at your strawberry patch (of which the local chapter of rogue rabbits HAVE been watching the patch with no discernable care of such a silly heavenly body!)  

I happened to be outside trying to get one of the dogs to poop (on the South side of the driveway while chas...   you get the point.) and I noticed the moon coming up over the horizon.

My phone was in my pocket so what the heck, take a couple of pics.


Black and white version to make it so much more dramatic!


What's funny about this is it was about 9:30 when I took this pic and it appears like it's maybe 8 - 8:30 pm where the sun hasn't fully sank into the abyss of the horizon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment