Sunday, April 15, 2012

The White Toad

We're simply going to have to move with these critters (and the snakes) around! 

Lesley and I were going through the storeroom today to find stuff for the garage sale coming up in May, and I had some stuff that could be burned out in our patio pit.  I took it outside and lifted the lid to the storage bin, put the wood in, and dropped the lid back down.

I nearly jumped clean out of my skin when I saw this cold blooded killer on the lid of the wood storage. 

Last summer we spotted this guy, or a nefarious near-twin of him up on our deck resting on the base of one of the deck chairs. We took some photos of him then and moved on with life as best as we could knowing at all times he was always out there... somewhere!



Look at his eyes!  Obviously the eyes of killer!

He ain't right!  Pretending to be all nice and relaxed... you know he's prepared to lunge at a fella at a moments notice, rip a vein out of my neck and kill me in a second flat!

Robby wanted to pick him up and was foolishly encouraging me to do so (he's the little tiny bump on the back of the storage bin just below and to the left of Robby's hands).  I told him that I would bravely photograph the proceedings so long as he did not come towards with the ferocious killer in his grasp!  Thankfully, Rob did not possess the intestinal fortitude needed to capture the beast and we had to go get mom.

So mom captures it after a life and death battle...  okay, truly, she walked over and calmly picked it up.  Notice the deadly yellow tint on the under sides of it's legs and belly. This fella obviously means business!  The suction cupped feet?  C'mon, you cannot tell me that he is right in the head or in nature!!!

Ugh, he's practically emitting death!

Caleb was not so keen on this shady character so as a good dad, I pledged to stay inside and and photograph the proceedings from a far, safe distance.

I have no idea what mom did with this thing after she released it.  I would hope that it was turned over to the local authorities for some serious interrogation about its wheelings and dealings since it was last seen a summer ago.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you're okay with killer snakes, but you see a yellowish odd looking toad and you're ready to move?!?

    Not that I'd be picking it up to inspect it either, but c'mon, you are living in a snake infested jungle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no! I'm not okay with snakes or any of them really. I still get the creepy crawlies when I recall the salamander out on the patio!

      I realized after reading your comment that my first paragraph was very poorly written. I meant "all these critters" to be read as white toad, snakes, salamanders, the raccoons who poop on the patio and in the sandbox, the possoms down by the creek as well as the snapping turtle who nearly yanked the shovel out of my hand when I went to do battle with him.

      Delete