Thursday, February 16, 2012

China - Part 9 - Novotel hotel in Beijing

Greetings and salutations!

I stated in the last post that I didn't know what was coming up next. The reason for that is because I did the post on Beijing shopping earlier and that included our first day in Beijing (the day pix) as well as our final day in Beijing (the night pix).

So I couldn't recall what came next. The reason for that was it was a mostly boring day of repacking suitcases and preparing for our flight to Changchun. This occurred on Sunday, Dec. 4th. I did take photos of the hotel rooms that we stayed in on our trip and our Beijing hotel room, at one of the Novotel's, is what we're going to cover here.

So lets get started...

This is looking down the entry way to our room.  Off to the right was the coat closet, then the bar/safe/fridge section.  Off to the left was the bathroom.  Nothing more, nothing less.

This is looking toward the left (bathroom) side of the entry way.  Note the split half doors on the John.  I was constantly pinching my fingers in those door handles when I would open the doors.  Of course, you had to close them because if you didn't, you had to carefully go around them to get in and out of the room.

This is looking down the right side of the entry way as yo can see my coat hanging in the closet. The glasses and coffee maker are on the top of the next section.  The white apparatus is the safe and the black dealybopper on the bottom is the refridgerator, which was barely big enough to keep our water in, much less a couple of local beers!

This is, obviously, looking into the bathroom facing the shower side.  That step to get in and out of the shower was a BIG one!!

This is looking in the bathroom again, only looking towards the sink side. You can see our bottled water sitting by the sink.  Also worthy of noting is the phone by the throne!  It brings back a memory of when Lesley and I moved to Tulsa back in 1994. My mom and dad stayed at a Comfort Inn that was about two city blocks from our apartment and they no sooner got over there and checked in than my dad called.  I answered, "Hello".  "This is your ol' Dad!", he said, and continued,  "Guess where I'm calling from?".  I replied, "The hotel?".  "Yep", he said, "but even better than that, I'm calling from the bathroom because the have a phone next the s-----r!  Can you believe that?!?".  That was my dad... and I miss him.

This is with my back to the door and looking into the room.  Beds off to the right, and you can kind of make out the flat screen tv on the big cabinet hanging on the wall in the left of the pic.

This is obviously standing by the curtains taking a shot towards the "bed" side of the room. That is Robby and Momma going to bed on the Saturday night before we leave for Changchun on Sunday morning.  This was taken after we had returned from our night shopping trip and the experience at the restaurant where Rob fell asleep and Les had the crispy duck sammys. To say that we were all shot would be a gross understatement.  That is me in the mirror and to my credit, I am dressed.

Those curtains on the far right of the photo are where I was standing when I took the previous photo with me in the mirror.  I'm between the two beds here looking towards the tv, desk, dressers, etc...  See those little red booklets sitting on the little ledge thing?  There's a couple of bottled waters off to the left of them?  There is something that looks like a black tower of sorts.  That was two cans of Chinese beers.  I had forgotten about these because I did not photograph them prior to consuming them so they are not included in my beer post.  It's too bad too because while they were quite different from American stouts (an almost milky smooth quality to them), they were also quite good.

This is back by the curtains overlooking the bulk of the room.

This is the light switches and plug-ins on the side of the rather large tv cabinet. The panel on the top has RCA hook-ups.  Computer monitor hook-ups. A USB port and a couple of other things.  The bottom panel is light switches. The thing in the middle is something that you see in tourist hotels. It provides a place to plug in various types of plugs from around the world and provides the correct voltage as to not fry your things that you're plugging in.  Oh sure they don't tell you this. Rather, they tell you that you need to go down to the hotel store and purchase a very expensive adaptor to use your things.  Although you don't need the adaptor that they try to sell you, it is a bit nerve wrecking to plug an expensive computer into this not knowing what the outcome will be. 

These are the outlets in the bathroom.  The one on the right says "shavers only" and the other one is just another multi country adaptor.  The "shavers only" one kind of makes you wonder what countries have electric shavers and how they operate.
I had a fella at work ask me about a closeup of this particular outlet, or rather, series of outlets.  So I figured that I would just put a closeup on here and let everyones imaginations run wild with the possibilities of what they could plug in here!

...and, this picture didn't load during the initial build and with two little crunchy monkey's running around me barking commands and what not, I didn't notice it until later on today.  This was a picture of Robby after we got home from the Great Wall climb / Jade factory tour.  He was shot but didn't want to take a nap and give mom & dad the satisfaction. So he laid down between the beds and was O.U.T.!




That's about it for the Beijing hotel room. Nothing too exciting but hopefully it gives a decent idea of our temp living arrangements.

Up next will be our Got'cha! day! That should be more exciting than this one.

Again, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment