Monday, September 4, 2023

NYC Vaca 2023 - Day 7 - Nothing To Do, but Do Stuff

It's our last day in NYC and frankly, I found myself SUPER excited to be flying out later today and to be home before dark, but also a little sad that there was SOOOO much left undone in the city. I said then that I would never go back but I think a trip at some point in the future with just my bride and I would be good.

We didn't do any of the museums (the USS Intrepid is truly a museum) as the law in Chicago knows that Robby and I can't be trusted around fine art!  Frankly speaking, there's so much to do, you wouldn't get it done in 3 1-week visits.

Anyway, on to our final day.

We started with some breakfast at Pershing Square, which is directly under the bridge (which will be explained more in the nest KISS related post!!!) across the street from the entrance that we used everyday for Grand Central Station.  This place had some dang good kibble and we ordered too much of it since we had no way to save leftovers.

From the google maps, Pershing Square on the left, entrance to Grand Central on the right.

We took the subway over to Chelsea (if my memory is worth a crap) and once again, I was amazed at how freakin' far underground we were!

We we finally surfaced, this was some of the scenery that we saw.


This building looked like a mix of business and residential, but who knows?

Lane markings you don't see in Iowa.

That's a funky building coming up!

More window washers!!!  Uhhhh... no.

This building was closed while we were there.  It's called the Vessel which has 16 stories with 180 landings to take pics from.

Seemingly just a random pic but it appears that I captured some type of raptor desension...

They were short one tall building so they're building it now.


I can only imagine now what was being said in this pic at the time. lol

This was a crazy intersection as bicycles/skaters/runners were whizzing by.  More lane markings that you don't see in Iowa!

I like architecture but I could not figure out what the building in the middle had going on with those jagged 'thingys' that circled the building.  Outdoor stairway, maybe?

We've finally made it onto the High Line.  What is the High Line?  Glad you asked, as the bulk of the rest of the photos are taken on it.  It's an old, elevated railway that has since been converted to a walking trail and green space that it absolutely beautiful.  It spans from Chelsea to Greenwich Village or so.

Not a very clear representation, but you see the red marker about in the middle of the pic and long green line by it?  That's the High Line.  Let's take a look.



I don't know what that is, but somebody has a sense of humor that I like!

Just getting warmed up...




Lots of architecture pics in this post!  Just warning you.




















It was nice to smell flowers instead of B.O., urine & exhaust.





That building in the background with the triangles is called the Edge.





The windows in these buildings remind me of the rootbeer barrel candies we had when I was a wee lad.



Someone broke that building.

NYC has a lot of cool artwork painted on the sides of buildings.  This one is hard to see from here, but it must have been a large undertaking!



We've returned to terra firma!

Air conditioning!


That's the High Line continuing without the Schmitz Mobile Chaos Unit as we're catching a slow-assed bus ride back to our hotel to retrieve our bags and wait for Bizzy!

One last gasp at Sarges's Deli!!!

These next pics are on the walk back to our hotel from Sarge's Deli.

Speaking of artwork on buildings...


Our hotel.  

Interesting building on the way back to La Guardia.


There was a long backlog of planes taking off from La Guardia, I think I counted 16 that I saw, but who knows...




What a mess...


From Lesley's side of the plane.


Love this pic and the way it captures Central Park.


Caleb eating!  lol



West of Lake Red Rock.

Just about home!!

So that does it for NYC, other than the KISS related post!  I need to get working on that now that I'm done with the rest of them.  I knew if I did that one first, the rest of these would drag out for a year!

Back soon with the best post yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment