Sunday, September 4, 2016

St. Louis, December 2015... I Forgot, Part III

So, I think we've finally made it to the final post about St. Louis and more directly, the final post about the City Museum. Oddly enough, since the first two post on this fantastic place, I've heard other adults talking about taking their own families there and how hard it is to describe it to people who haven't seen it themselves.

I agree.
 
And I agree even thought the rooftop stuff wasn't open to us when we were there in December.  Apparently, there's a ferris wheel and a few other various and sundry items that should be explored when the weather allows.

My concern about ever returning?  There are no St. Louis Rams to be found in that city now and I'm not sure that there are other reasons to return, other than breweries, of which, there are now quite a few.  We did not hit up Schlafly, even though they were not far off of our walk to the City Museum.  I did buy beers from several others with mixed results.  That, in and of itself, seems like a possible reason to return. 

Oh, and there's Cohokia Mounds not too far East over the Mississppi River from downtown.  Some cool history that should be explored.

And, if you're feeling like a drive, there is Elephant Rocks State Park about 1.5 hours South (and a touch West) of the Gateway Arch.  Cool place with mostly easy hiking.

And so on we go, thru the last of the city museum.

A disclaimer on their website states: "*Unaccompanied minors may be filled with sugar and returned*".
 
We finally found the room with the big slides.  You see, they purposefully do NOT give out maps of the place as they want you and your family to go exploring.  We did.  And, it took us many explorations to find the "slide room".


From the floor of the slide room looking up roughly 10/12 stories...


After climbing a pile of stairs, this is from somewhere around 5 - 7 stories up, looking down at another one of the donated pipe organs.  Much more cooler in person!!


I believe this was my peeps at the top of the 10 story slide, preparing themselves for, what I presume, imminent death, and smiling about it.


Robby at the bottom of such silliness...


What is this, you ask?  I have no idea, other than the bottom of some really high slides and a photo that absolutely refused to be rotated counter-clockwise.


The 5-story slides...


Really high up, looking down over slides onto a pipe organ that appears at the middle-top of the otherwise confusing picture.


Oh, and we haven't been outside until now.  Robby and dear ol' dad are several stories up when I took this pic. We're on our way to the airplane on a stick.


...and about 5 stories up here when I took this pic of the parking lot below the horse-poop in which I seemed to be willingly climbing in!!!


So Caleb and Momma kept their sensible feet closer to the ground.  Robby and dear ol' dad decided to keep going up thru tubes and tunnels until we reached an old, dilapidated airplane, mounted on a 5- 6 story "stick" with metal tunnels attatched to it.   I made it exactly that far when my sense of mortality kicked in and I had enough.  Robby, 35 years my younger, went on.  As demonstrated by this pic of him crawling out the window of the airplane and onto it's wing.


So, after I completely panicked....  this is a pic of Robby climbing from the airplane wing over to the side of the building where there's a big slide for those who don't... uh, panic...


This is well after the scary airplane nonsense that I subjected myself too!  That tower looking thing in the right side of the pic was where I found myself trying to get back to the ground.  I had to crawl down thru tiny openings, and I'm not tiny, until you get to this humongous metal "bowl".  From there?  I can't recall, but I eventually made it.


Again, as I crawl myself out of the extremely well-elevated problem i find myself in, it seems not the bad. Really, it's not that bad!  Especially since I'm sitting in the relative safety of home typing this.  Here's Momma watching Calebber in the giant ball-pit.


And once we were all back on terra-firma, we decided to take a quick break before walking back to our hotel, and more importantly, the restaurant that we wanted to visit, in betwixt.  While momma and I were sitting on a bench, waiting for our explorers to return, they eventually did.  And then, they discovered this little nugget...  they disappeared not ten feet from us, thru a hole in our bench.  We wondered when we would see them again...


And a few minutes later, they pass over the top of us...  What a delightfully weird place!


We all escaped alive.The lads several moments later for lunch at the Mango, Peruvian Cuisine. 

Great food and an even more wonderful time!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment