Sunday, July 14, 2013

Birthdays, John Deere's and Denise Austin

As some of you may know, this past week saw me, Dear ol' Dad, turn 43 years of age. 

My own birthday doesn't mean much to me anymore and they haven't for some time, yet they have the unbridled audacity to just keep coming! 

The part of my birthday that means the most to me is when I, my wife, her sister Molly, and her cousin Kerby all go out for dinner on our birthdays as we have for a good number of years now.

That's always a good time...  well, there was Crave.  It's a long story.

So this year, it would seem, birthdays are VERY exciting for a small Chinese boy!  He was ecstatic at his birthday, Robby's birthday, Grandma Marlene's birthday and most recently, my own.

He started about a week in advance asking when my birthday was.  He would hold up a random number of fingers and ask, "Daddy?  Your birthday, 8 more days?".  

It was crazy cute!

So we began the Caleb induced countdown to my birthday, and would have to submit to his relentless inquiries several times a day.  

My birthday fell on a Wednesday this year, and as I usually do, I went to work just like I normally would on any other "regular" day.

But, before I could leave for work this fine day, the boys and Momma sang me happy birthday (5:30 in the morning!) and they had made me coffee and an egg n' cheese sammy that was delightful!

So I go to work and do what I do, come home to have a small Chinese boy charge me like a man possessed and hands me my present.

Robby came over from the couch and gave me his present first, which was a great big hug n' kiss!  Awesome!!  I still carry the card he made me in kindergarten that says I can present it at any time for free hugs n' kisses, but they're better when you get'em for free!


Here's side A of my Robby credit card.  You can steal whatever you like from me as far as credit cards/money go, but know that there will be woe and gnashing of teeth if somebody steals this!

The back side, or side B for you fans of vinyl.

So then, Caleb gives me his gift and he is excited and happy and laughing and dancing and whatever else.

So what was it?



It was two dvd's that we already own.  A John Deere movie about various equipment that they manufacture.


And what do you suppose was the second dvd he gave me?

KISS in concert?  Nope...

Something with guitars?  Nope...

1999 St. Louis Rams run to the Superbowl?  Nope...

It was this...
Yep, that's right a Denise Austin video to "Fat-Blast" my belly!  :-)  He patted my tummy and said, quite clearly, "Exercise, Daddy!".



 

What I just don't understand is that my stomach looks almost identical to that anyway, except maybe more manly and uh...  "beerly".

Gotta love kids and their honesty.

I think...

1 comment:

  1. HA HA HA! I shouldn't laugh - he might decide to wrap something up for me on Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete