Tuesday, January 24, 2012

China - Part 4 - The drive to/through Olympic Village

Greetings all! I had intended to combine the drive to/through Olympic village and the tour of the Hutong into one post. Then I got knee deep into sorting which pictures I wanted to use and realized that I really enjoyed the Hutong tour, frozen toes aside, and I have tons of pictures that I find interesting and would like to share.

As a result, I'm breaking it into two posts so this one will be short and... foggy.

This is a typical hospital in China.  This one happens to be in Beijing, but they looked similar where ever we stumbled across them. I don't know if this little building nearest us is the ER or what...  I never figured that out.  Also, note that in the bottom left of the photo you can see various shops on the ground level with the hospital on the upper three stories. This is the only hospital I can recall like that as the others were hospital from the ground up.

This must be a well-to-do persons bicycle.  Every now and again, you would see a three wheeled bike that had these little covers over them like this.  Seeings as it had snowed earlier in the day and they're still riding their bikes, it's probably not that bad of an idea.

This was me trying to capture the epic nature of this overpass.  There are 10 lanes of traffic and a rail yard that run underneath. There are 4 lanes directly beneath us and since they always have a road that runs immediately parallel to main road, they also have 2 more lanes to the right of the 8 lanes.  That roof on poles in the right side of the photo had something to do with the rail system.

This building was on the corner of the main road that passes by the Olympic Village. Our guide, Nancy, told us something interesting about it but I did not have my trusty notebook handy on most of the tours. Since I can't recall what I had for lunch today, I certainly cannot pull any memories from the rolodex that is my feeble brain.

It seems to me that this was the beginning of the Olympic Village but I don't recall that for sure either... I'm getting old. The blue trailer looking thing in front was a temp thing as there's a fence around it on all sides.  I believe Nancy told us that there was some renovation going on in one of the buildings.

This was the building that housed all of the servers, tv equipment, maybe press(s), and all things electrical. Note the cleverness of it all since it's built to resemble a circuit board.

This is the bubble building, not that you can tell.  Note the people just to the lower right/middle of the photo and then squint to note the golden arches above them.  Yep. Ronald even got in on the excitement (and money) that is the Olympics.

See the 'Bird's Nest' back in there?  Yeah, us neither.  That's as close as we got to it and the fog/smog/snow/haze was really thick when we drove through here.  This would be one thing that I'd like to see in a little more detail should we ever go back with Caleb on a heritage tour or something of the like.  Of course, his only connection with Beijing is flying in and out of the airport on his way to his forever home in America, so it wouldn't make too much sense to go there

So there you have it. There was more to the drive than just these few photos but quite honestly, so much of it looked the same and a fella is always staring at how close we are to all of the other traffic that sometimes you'd just forget to snap photos.

Next post of photos will be the Hutongs, I promise.  They are much more interesting than this... I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment